Saturday, February 16, 2008

Psalm 42 - Life is unfair (confirmed + chopped + guaranteed) BUT God is good

“Another “not-so-happy” Psalm.” That’s what I thought when I first reading this. But God kept on bringing me to this psalm this week, in particular verse 5 and 11.

“Why am I discouraged?
Why is my heart so sad?

I will put my hope in God!

I will praise Him again, my Savior and my God” (NLT Version)

Reading the whole psalm again, I can really identify with what the psalmist was facing. It was not an easy week for me. Deadlines are approaching and everything in the office bottlenecked at sales. What make thing worse was my colleagues’ suggestion to “invite” another people from my previous company to join us. In business world this is called “poaching”, not an ethical thing to do. I had left my previous company for around 10 months; however I still respect my ex-boss. After a couple of discussion I finally stand my ground and say the final “No”. I thank God that my other colleagues just agreed.

While doing things ethically is something that I want, I was discouraged by my sales result, the revenue figure that has not been moving up much, discipline problems with new staffs, and what make things worse even the interviewees that I short listed did not show up. I felt so alone. It’s like I am doing all these for God, however things are just not right.

That was when God spoke to me through this verse” Why are you discouraged? …I will put my hope in God!..” God was saying it’s not your sales result, it’s not your staffs performance, it’s not the interviewee definitely, that I should put my hope in. It is God! I could choose to wallow in my discouragement, but I chose to Praise God for his faithfulness. It’s not about me it’s about God!

I don’t know how many of you are going through times when you don’t know what is happening around you. Things doesn’t seem to go well even though you are obeying God. God’s promise is this: “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 47:10)

Have a blessed weekend! :)

No comments: